Thursday, March 29, 2012
Here is the final conference statement from the four-day Planet under Pressure conference, held in London March 26-29, 2012.
Read more about the conference
1. Research now demonstrates that the continued functioning of the Earth system as it has supported the well-being of human civilization in recent centuries is at risk. Without urgent action, we could face threats to water, food, biodiversity and other critical resources: these threats risk intensifying economic, ecological and social crises, creating the potential for a humanitarian emergency on a global scale.
2. In one lifetime our increasingly interconnected and interdependent economic, social, cultural and political systems have come to place pressures on the environment that may cause fundamental changes in the Earth system and move us beyond safe natural boundaries. But the same interconnectedness provides the potential for solutions: new ideas can form and spread quickly, creating the momentum for the major transformation required for a truly sustainable planet.
3. The defining challenge of our age is to safeguard Earth’s natural processes to ensure the well-being of civilization while eradicating poverty, reducing conflict over resources, and supporting human and ecosystem health.
4. As consumption accelerates everywhere and world population rises, it is no longer sufficient to work towards a distant ideal of sustainable development. Global sustainability must become a foundation of society. It can and must be part of the bedrock of nation states and the fabric of societies.
5. The Global Environmental Change Programmes (DIVERSITAS, International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change and World Climate Research Programme) with the International Council for Science convened the Planet Under Pressure: New Knowledge Towards Solutions conference to assess the state of the planet and explore solutions to impending global crises. The conference brought together nearly 3000 leading experts and decision-makers to discuss global challenges and offer new solutions. And at least 3000 people across the world participated in the conference online.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Monday, March 26, 2012
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Saturday, March 17, 2012
NASA's Fermi Gamma-Ray Telescope is finding hundreds of new objects at the very edge of the electromagnetic spectrum. Many of them have one thing in common: Astronomers have no idea what they are.
"The ideal solution would be to encode the message inside a large number of self-replicating, self-repairing microscopic machines programmed to multiply and adapt to changing conditions...
"Any intelligent extraterrestrial life that exists probably won't announce itself by blowing up the White House, or win over the hearts of children as a lovable alien with a glowing finger. Many scientists simply hope to find evidence of them by scanning the skies for a radio signal from a distant star's alien civilization. But such efforts may also risk overlooking clues of past alien activity right here on Earth."
Okay, this is not new news, but it is relevant news. The WAKING GOD TRILOGY postulates that the 'gods' are hidden withing our DNA, awaiting for the 'signal' to activate. The signal can be triggered by conscious choice, or, perhaps, by cosmic energies. Yes, genes can be turned on and off, that is proven and it is not science fiction. So is the re a 'god' gene and what events might trigger its activation?
We know that environmental stress is a major player in evolution. After all, why evolve if all is well with the world? It is when the environment stresses the very existence of a being that the evolutionary process kicks into high gear. (Read Lipton/Bhaerman-Spontaneous Evolution.) Clearly, the world is a very stressful place. Politics, religion, education, the environment and the economy have not been floating on calm seas. Further, the increase in earthquakes, volcanoes, droughts, severe and unusual weather do not make for restful nights. Add to this picture solar flares, the collapsing magnetosphere and heliosphere, and the increase in incoming cosmic energy and we have a formula for gene mutation, or perhaps, gene activation.
Too 'far out' for your thinking? Do some research, but do it quickly, things are happening very quickly.